Building a data strategy is a great idea. It helps to avoid many of the Challenges of a Data Science Projects. However, there are many questions to address before getting started. Below is a list of some of those questions.
General Questions Before Starting a Data Strategy
- Do you have a process for solving problems involving data?
- What are the biggest challenges in your business?
- Do you have a data team (size/roles)?
- What specific questions do you want answered with data?
- Do you currently use data to answer any questions?
- Do you have any dashboards?
- Do you have a data governance document?
- What data do you collect?
- What are the organizations long-term plans?
Technical Questions Before Starting a Data Strategy
- How and where is your current data stored?
- Do you have a Business Intelligence (BI) tool?
- What is the current data infrastructure?
- Do you have a data warehouse?
- Do you use any external data?
- How long is data stored?
- What data tools are available?
This list may continue to evolve, so what do you think is missing?