Michael Chui of McKinsey Global Institute provided some clear insights about the benefits of opendata. Here are the 4 characteristics of open data provided by Chui:
- Access by Everyone
- Formatted for Easy Reading by a Computer
- Free(no cost)
- Unlimited Rights to redistribute and reuse
Also, Chui describes how an organization can get the most from their open data. It is not enough to just make the data available, the organizations must provide an ecosystem focused around the open data. Here are some of the strategies he discussed.
- Identify and Prioritize the Correct Data to open
- Get Developers/Data Scientists (internal/external) Playing with the data
- Privacy/Policy Issues
- Platforms & Standards along with metadata
He also mentions the potential economic benefits of open data ranging from $3.2 billion to $5.4 trillion. For more information on open data see the latest Report from McKinsey Global about Open Data and/or watch the video below.