This is a nice graphic showing where data science is being taught. It appears that data science is being taught all over the country.
- Computer scientists discover statistics and find it useful – Ever wonder why computer scientists are getting all the attention for data science? Well, computer scientists stole ideas from statistics. Read the article and it will make more sense.
- Top 3 Myths About Data Science – Here is a highlight of the myths:
- Data science is a field for mathematical geeks.
- Learning a tool is the equivalent of learning data science
- Data scientists will be replaced by artificial intelligence soon
- The Big Data Fallacy And Why We Need To Collect Even Bigger Data – More Data is not always better because it does not necessarily mean more information. Read this for a good description of data vs. information vs. insights.
- MLbase – A distributed machine learning system, here is an academic paper about the system
- Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning: An Overview (PDF) – this is a very nice slide deck from IBM
Jeff Hammerbacher, founder and Chief Scientist of Cloudera, gives a nice talk about data science. He explains what he has done in the past, and what he plans to do in the future.
It is the second video, I have posted recently, emphasizing the importance of data science for more than just advertising. Jeff is getting involved in a Medical School to see how data can help.
Note: The video is about 45 minutes, but it contains some really good information.
Code School is offering a course title Try R. The course is completely free and can be completed online with the interactive tutorial. You will learn by doing. If you have been looking to learn R or need a quick refresher, this is probably a very good option.