This is a great article and list of topics to remember when working on big data projects. Here is the list.
- Gather business requirements before gathering data
- Implementing big data is a business decision not IT
- Use Agile and Iterative Approach to Implementation
- Evaluate data requirements
- Ease skills shortage with standards and governance
- Optimize knowledge transfer with a center of excellence
- Embrace and plan your sandbox for prototype and performance
- Align with the cloud operating model
- Associate big data with enterprise data
- Embed analytics and decision-making using intelligence into operational workflow/routine
See the original article, 10 Big Data Implementation Best Practices, for details.