Once again, The Data Incubator is hosting a
free monthly webinar. In April, the event features, Matei Zaharia, Ph.D. Matei is the creator of Spark, Co-founder of DataBricks, and an Assistant Professor at Stanford. Join the webinar to learn about Matei’s latest project, Stanford DAWN.
The webinar is:
Tue, April 3, 2018 at 5:30 PM EDT
Here are the latest articles from Microsoft regarding cloud data science products and updates.
– Microsoft reaches a historic milestone, using AI to match human performance in translating news from Chinese to English “Given the best-case situation as far as data and availability of resources goes … they’ve recently achieved substantial breakthroughs by using a method of training AI systems called deep neural networks. That has allowed them to create more fluent …[ ] Read More
– Pixel-Level Land Cover Classification Using the Geo AI Data Science Virtual Machine and Batch AI This post was authored by Mary Wahl, Kolya Malkin, Siyu Yang, Patrick Flickinger, Wee Hyong Tok, Lucas Joppa, and Nebojsa Jojic, representing the Microsoft Research and AI for Earth teams. The Chesapeake Conservancy is a non-profit organization charged …[ ] Read More
– Demystifying Docker for Data Scientists – A Docker Tutorial for Your Deep Learning Projects If you too are wondering what the fuss is all about, or how to leverage Docker in your data science work (especially for deep learning … containers and create custom Docker images for your AI workloads. As a data scientist, I find Docker containers …[ ] Read More
– How Three Lines of Code and Windows Machine Learning Empower .NET Developers to Run AI Locally on Windows 10 Devices The applications that can benefit from the power of AI are endless. With the Windows Machine Learning (Windows ML) API, as .NET developers, we can now leverage the ONNX models that have been trained by data scientists and use them to develop intelligent …[ ] Read More
– Microsoft and MIP Politecnico di Milano’s new digital AI platform is the ultimate career-path mentor A revolutionary new platform FLEXA is a new digital platform powered by Microsoft Azure and AI which offers various services that help facilitate personalised, continuous learning. Designed to help users sift through huge amount of information and content …[ ] Read More
– Join us March 21: Intersection of AI and Analytics in Government Integral to leveraging the power of AI is data which floods many agencies yet is often underutilized or even locked up due to lack of resources, knowledge of tools, and compliance. Fortunately, cloud-based analytics capabilities allow these datasets to be …[ ] Read More
– Developers drive innovation with bot technology This is the power of bot technology powered through Artificial Intelligence (AI). Bots are driving a new course of digital interaction. This sophisticated technology is bringing webpages to life to answer user questions, moderate content, and make …[ ] Read More
A group of data-minded people have put together a manifesto for data practices. It is available on the
website. It lists ethics, values, and principles for effective data teamwork. Data Practices
You are invited to read and sign if you agree.
Kaggle, the online data science competition platform, will be hosting a free online conference for people interested in landing their first data science job.
on March 20, 2018. There are a bunch of great speakers lined up, and all the talks are focused on preparing someone to get a data science job (resume tips, interview questions, portfolio examples, …). Kaggle CareerCon 2018
As a college or university student, it can be difficult to stand out when looking for your first data science job. Here is a suggestion. Build a project you can share with prospective employers.
If you like this video, subscribe to the YouTube channel,
Learn Data Science, for more videos like this.
Reinforcement Learning deals with actions and rewards (positive or negative). The rewards help to dictate the future actions.
Many children learn via reinforcement learning. Here is a simple example from my childhood. As a child, I was told not to touch the hot stove.
My action: I touched the door of the hot stove when it was open.
My reward (negative): I burned my hand, and it hurt.
My future actions resulted in me staying away from the hot stove.
This was a very simplified example of reinforcement learning. Here are two more great introductory references:
Simple Beginner’s guide to Reinforcement Learning
Deep Learning Research Review: Reinforcement Learning
Coursera has partnered with the University of Michigan to launch a new master’s degree entirely online through the Coursera platform. The new
degree will launch in Fall of 2019. Master of Applied Data Science
Also of interest,
Arizona State University and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign both announced masters degrees in computer science (both with data science portions) through the Coursera platform.
DJ Patil, former US Chief Data Scientist and data science legend, has a nice video with helpful tips for people looking to get into data science.
Strive for Curiosity
Follow Ethics and Security
Be part of a Team
Solve a Local Problem
Chartio put together a nice
. online interactive tutorial for learning SQL
SQL is almost an essential tool for data science. Rarely is there a project where knowing SQL is not necessary.