Many aspects of computer science are fundamental to data science. A good data scientist has to be able to transform/extract/manipulate lots of data. Computer programming is the main technique for such operations. Here are numerous resources to help you learn the fundamentals of computer science.
Online Computer Science Courses: Introductory Level
If you are not familiar with computer programming, this list is a good place to start.
- Udacity Introduction to Computer Science
- Coursera Computer Science 101
- Coursera Learn to Program: The Fundamentals
- Codecademy – A wonderful interactive site for learning to program
Online Computer Science Courses: More Advanced
- Udacity Algorithms
- Udacity Design of Computer Programs
- Coursera Learn to Program: Crafting Quality Code
- Coursera Algorithms Part 1 and Part 2
- Coursera Design and Analysis of Algorithms Part 1 and Part 2
Two More Helpful Resources
Stack Overflow is a great site for answering all of your programming questions. It is good for beginners as well as more advanced programmers. Also, if you start writing a lot of code, Github is a great place to store that code.