The UK government has taken the first step in providing a solid grounding for the future of data science ethics. Recently, they published a “beta” version of the Data Science Ethical Framework.
The framework is based around 6 clear principles:
- Start with clear user need and public benefit
- Use data and tools which have the minimum intrusion necessary
- Create robust data science models
- Be alert to public perceptions
- Be as open and accountable as possible
- Keep data secure
See the above link for further details. The framework is somewhat specific to the UK, but it would be nice to see other countries/organizations adopt a similar framework. Even DJ Patil, U.S. Chief Data Scientist, has stated the importance of ethics in all data science curriculum.